Have you ever signed up for a membership but forgot to use the services you paid for? Forgetting to use shopper rewards is one thing. Not using your health benefits is a much bigger issue. You aren’t just throwing away money. You could be missing out on precious chances to help improve your health.
With today’s individual health plans, most of us have what are called essential health benefits (EHBs). These benefits include emergency services, hospitalization, prescription drugs and rehabilitation services. These services are considered basic to good health.
All qualified health plans include EHBs. Some of these services are covered at no out-of-pocket expense beyond the plan premium.
- EHBs include some preventive services, but only with in-network providers.
- All you need to do to use those preventive services is schedule them.
Forgetting to use preventive services is easy to do. Life gets busy. Yet the reason preventive services are easy to forget is also what makes them “essential.” Preventive services aren’t for when we are sick. We use them to avoid getting sick, like immunizations for measles.
We also use preventive services, like health screenings, to find some common health problems as early as possible. Catching these conditions early can make a big difference in treatment options and quality of life. When a condition is found early, you may be able to:
- Make lifestyle changes to help improve the condition.
- Have easier and less expensive treatment options.
- Help prevent some complications of disease.
When you’re ready to use your preventive services:
- Consider asking your doctor’s office which services to use first based on your health history.
- Find out what can be done in a single visit.
- Ask if any services need to be done at a different location, like a lab.
Start scheduling those preventive services with your in-network provider today!